Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Chained by Negative Expectations pt II

As we are addressing new and Old issues, I have been pondering more and more why we have so many negativity issues and things amongst our own. I addressed in an earlier piece the the negative expectations that we have and even subscribe to today. I only hope that through enlightenment we can squash the negative connotations, stereotyping, and overall ignorant views and lack of understanding that seems to flood our young impressionable children, young adults and even adults. I would love to say that in my lifetime, I have never subscribed to these things. However; even I have been a victim and advocate of the foolishness and ignorance that has plagued our community. The interesting facts about this is that it seems to be our own influences that feed this beast of destruction. I know that it is a lot to have to contend with these days from the downfall in overall family values, systematic programming of our youth, lack of rehabilitation of those who have been institutionalized by the corrupt penal system, to the growing information ... resources that we all have access to. It has been on my mind for some time now and even though I wish that I could lead a more powerful movement than any minority or majority movement to come through this country since its inception, it will be difficult because as I have heard so often .... "Enlightenment and Truth are boring. " We have to get that mentality out of our minds. It is not enough to educate ourselves but leave our brothers and sisters in ignorance. I know I speak from a minority point of view but it does not exclude the majority because one day they will be a minority too.....
We should give our youth an example of how to fight to get to the " so called promise land" and not just set examples of conforming and running from the current problems. I know you may ask what I mean by running ... well here is what I see daily. We show that we do not want to take care of our own COMMUNITIES, NEIGHBORS, CHILDREN.... but We do show how fast we can run if problems arise. When we do this, we do not have the forsight to see the negative impact that we are having .... again .... chained to negative expectations...
So now we wonder why we are having so many problems with our younger folks in our communites ... I mean what are we expecting when there are more positive influences running from our communities .... If your whole life was filled with people that you saw in a positive light leaving you .... HOW WOULD YOU REACT? Then when this happens, we then point the finger at everyone else and blame the world (white America) ( Hip Hop) ( Drugs) etc. well I know some areas may not be what we see as great places ... but lets stop for a moment and think why not? hmmmmm........ well that is another subject ....
In retrospect, we should look at the negative impacts the moves made for the so called advancement of the people.... taking money from minority businesses to spend with the majority ... to integrate ... well forced integration is no better... taking money from our scools and much needed resources and educators ... Lets be honest ... HOW MUCH BETTER CAN SCHOOLS GET IF WE DO NOT INVEST IN THEM ...
Ask yourself the question when you are alone. Am I a slave to my wants .... or do I satisy my needs?

Young William
Leader and Philosopher
Knowledge is Power and to share Knowledge is to Empower

No comments: